Monday, October 22, 2012

Medium Specificity



Artists Statement:

For this creative assignment we were to choose a medium such as film, photography, music, literature etc., and then discover something that is unique to that medium only. I chose the medium of film and the unique attribute that I chose to demonstrate was motion. Photography can show some motion as well with blur and other effects but I believe that solely film can display motion at its best given that it is multiple frames, not just one.

To demonstrate, and kind of exaggerate, film's unique ability to show motion I filmed the above video of myself. The first "Josh" that enters the frame from the right moves in extreme slow motion while the various other "Josh'es" that enter frame move at a higher speed than normal and interact with the "slow motion Josh." I also reversed the motion because that is also something very unique to the medium.

One of the reasons I chose to explore the medium of film is because I love it's ability to create impossible worlds such as this one, where I can have 3 clones if I want. I felt that having the multiple Josh'es moving at different speeds would display a contrast of the range of motion offered in the medium of film. This project celebrates the medium of film because it shows the limitless options film offers from displaying a reality to creating a new reality that no one could experience in any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment