Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Thin Blue Line

The Thin Blue Line (Errol Morris)

I am so glad I watched The Thin Blue Line by Errol Morris. I had always heard about this film in my classes and now I can understand why so much is said about it because it was extremely well done. I think almost every filmmaker makes films because they want to make a difference no matter if it's a small difference or a big difference. This goal is true in all types of films fiction or non-fiction. The Thin Blue Line is a prime example of a film that made a difference. The film uncovered new evidence on the case of a man that was on death row and because of the new evidence the man was released from death row and prison.

I would say that the director was very effective in his storytelling approach because of the difference his film made in that mans life. It was also exciting to watch because even though I knew the ending of the film I still felt the suspense because of the way the information was gradually revealed throughout the film. The complicated story made it a little hard to follow but it all came together by the end. The reenactments of the film were very helpful to visually see what happened make it easier to understand. I really liked how with the interviews we spent time with some of the people even after they finished speaking and we just watched them in silence. This allowed the viewer to get to know the characters on a deeper level. I highly recommend this film because its a perfect example to show how much power and affect a film can have.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate with your experience, I have heard a great deal about The Thin Blue Line but have still not seen it. I am glad that you overcame that hurdle and finally watched it; I hope to follow suit soon. I think the point you bring up is excellent, documentary filmmakers do want to make a difference, and from your response it seems like there may not be a much better successful example than Morris' film. From your response I do wonder, how similar is Morris to Flaherty? Not having seen the film I can't take this idea too far, but it seems like there could be some similarity between Flaherty setting things up and Morris doing a reenactment. I don't know the details but are the two examples so different? Flaherty was incredibly successful with this dramatic story arcs and structure, it sounds like Morris kept you interested and engaged as well. Approaching the subject as I have, it could seem like criticism to employ these tactics; however, this is not the case. I think the contributions, as you have said, are incredibly worthwhile. I am just fascinated by this particular conversation. Thanks for the thoughtful response, can't wait to see the film.

    ReplyDelete